For their first few months of living in Canada. Living with a host family helps you practice English daily and learn about different cultures and lifestyles. Most host families are immigrants who can share their experiences with you.
Responsibilities while living in homestay usually include:
- Pay your rent on time
- Keep your bedroom/living space clean
- Keep the washroom organised, especially if sharing with the host family
or other students
- Do your own laundry
- Pay for any long distance phone calls you make from the home stay family’s phone
Additionally, it is important to:
- Respect the rules and routines of the family
- Let them know when you won’t be home for dinner, or if you’ll be late for
any appointments with them
- Practice English, even if your host family speaks the same language as
- Ask permission before inviting friends over
- Ask permission to use the telephone
Remember: In home stay, communication is your key to comfort and success. If you have any problems with your host family, talk to them. Share your point of view politely!
Renting your own place
If you want to rent your own place, the easiest way to look for your new home is by using online websites. Be aware that unless the advertisement/ posting says differently, you are renting from the home owner (landlord), not a company.
Some popular websites to find housing include:
When searching through postings/advertisements for housing and apartments, be aware of:
- Rent fee (per month)
- Lease (one-year, six-month, month by month, etc)
- Photographs that CLEARLY show the space/condition
- Detailed written information about the place, size, and type
- Detailed written information about the amenities (stove, fridge,dishwasher, laundry, etc) and if they are included in the rental price
- Exactly what the rent covers (water, heat, internet, cable tv, etc)
How to reach Emerald!
Transportation in Port Alberni
Public transportation in the Port Alberni area is run by BC Transit. For routes and schedules of public transportation in Port Alberni : click here